Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: Day One

Posted by Simcha 8:59 AM, under | 8 comments

Book Blogger Appreciation Week kicks off today by posing this question to all participating bloggers:

For those of you who participated in BBAW last year, what’s a great new book blog you’ve discovered since last year’s BBAW? For those you new to BBAW, what was the first book blog you discovered

Well this is my first year participating in BBAW, and it's been just over a year now that I first started blogging. I kind of fell into blogging accidentally and before I started my own I had never even visited a blog before and didn't know anything about them. The very first blog that I followed was Books on the Nightstand, which I discovered through their podcast. Now if you a regular reader of my posts you can't help but notice my love affair with Books on the Nightstand and their book review podcasts, which I eagerly look forward to each week.



Books on the Nightstand is a run by Michael and Ann, who work at Random House Publishing, though their podcast and blog are not work-related but rather a labor of love. In each episode they highlight a few favorite books that they recently read and recommend and the way they describe them makes me want to read each and every one. I've discovered so many wonderful new books and authors that I never would have otherwise tried if not for Ann and Michael's recommendations. But BOTNS is so much more than just a blog about books, it's also a place for book lovers to gather to discuss books and other related subjects, and everyone that participates is made to feel like they are personal friends of Ann and Michael. If I were ever to describe a blog as "having a heart" this would be the one.

While BOTNS was my first blog discovery I would also like to take this opportunity to mention a few of the other wonderful blogs that I discovered over the past year. Although my Google Reader is filled with so many blogs that I struggle to get even half of them read there are certain blogs that I make an effort to visit regularly. While there are plenty of places I can go to get good book reviews, not all of them make me feel as if I am visiting with a friend- one who welcomes me in, sits me on the couch with a cup of coffee and regales me about this great (or not so great) book that they just read.


Brizmus Blogs Books: Audrey reviews all genres of books with an enthusiasm that instantly makes me want to pick up any book that she recommends. She also has some fun weekly features that I always enjoy reading and I particularly enjoy following her adventures in whichever country she is currently living in (right now it's Japan).

My World...in Words and Pages: Melissa is a fellow fantasy reader and I enjoy discovering new books through her blog and discussing with her those books that I have already read. You can tell from her blog that Melissa has a wonderfully friendly personality and anyone that visits her blog is warmly welcomed. I've learned a lot from Melissa about how you can develop relationships through blog comments.

Misfit Salon: When I'm in the mood of a good non-genre book I turn to Stephanie who always features really interesting books that I'm often unfamiliar with. Her reviews are thoughtful and intelligent and give me a good sense as to which books I would most likely enjoy. This was also where I first discovered that a blogger can do more than just review books but they can also introduce interesting subjects for discussion. Stephanie has led some really interesting discussions on her blog, which I really enjoy partaking in.


Michelle and Leslie's Book Picks: Fantasy and scifi books can get pretty intense and occasionally I like to take a break with a fun romance or YA, in which case I turn to Michelle and Leslie for a recommendation. Michelle and Leslie are sisters that blog together (which I think is great) and between the two of them they present an interesting assortment of book reviews that guarantee I will find something for myself.

So there you go. I hope that you take a few minutes to give each of these blogs a visit so that you can discover for yourself what it is that I love about them.

8 comments:

Very exciting! I have never done BBAW, and I'm brand new to blogging! I can't remember which was the first one I discovered, I think I found all of them at about the same time.

Simcha, thank you!!! You just made my day; I can't think of a nicer post about Books on the Nightstand, ever.

Truthfully, though, the community you speak of would not exist if it weren't for people like you, people with a passion and love for books that understand how cool it is to connect with people and share the magic of great books. We're honored to have you as part of the Books on the Nightstand family.

Isn't BONS the best!? I, too am a fan! I'm unfamiliar with the others on your list, but I plan on checking them out now!

WOW! Thanks for the lovely words, Simcha. Can I quote you in my "about" page??? For what it's worth, yours is my go to blog for Sci-fi and fantasy. I'm glad we found each other's blogs.

You are very kind. Thank you for the kind words. :) I am glad you enjoy visiting, as I enjoy when you make the visits. Part in why I do this is to get a chance to chat with many great kind people who share a love for books like I do. And there are many of us out here. :) Thank you again. And best of luck to you.

hi simcha! you made my morning, thank you :D

Bryan: You can still participate in BBAW if you want. It's not too late and it's really pretty fun.

Ann: Thanks so much for stopping by and thanks again for all the time you and Michael put into making a wonderful blog and podcast.

Jenn's Bookshelves: Oh yeah! I'm a huge BOTNS fan, as anyone that knows me can attest to. And I always enjoy meeting their other fans, as well :)

Stephanie: Sure, no problem. Your blog has definitely influenced me and the way I blog, so thank you!

Melissa: You totally rock!

Michelle: Anytime :)

Yay! I'm so glad that I made the cut! I feel so honored! I've actually never heard of most of the other blogs you mentioned, so I'll have to go check them out. Books on the Nightstand sounds fabulous!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive