Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 4:48 AM, under | 3 comments

I haven't done a Friday Quotes post in a while because I just haven't come across any quotes in my reading that I thought were particularly memorable. This week, ,though, I have some quotes to share with you that I really liked, from two of my recent reads:

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois MacMaster Bujold

  • If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door.


  • The deadly weapon seemed unnaturally light and easy in his hand. Something that lethal should have more heft, like a broadsword. Wrong, for murder to be so potentially effortless--one ought to at least have to grunt for it.

  • How can I give you up? You're the mountains and the lake, the memories--you have them all. When you're with me, I'm at home, wherever I am.

  • Acting or reacting, we carry him in us. You can't walk away from him any more than I can. Whether you travel toward or away, he'll be the compass. He'll be the glass, full of subtle colors and astigmatisms, through which all new things will be viewed. I too have a father who haunts me, and I know.

  • "Your forward momentum is going to lead all your followers over a cliff someday." He paused, beginning to grin. "On the way down, you'll convince 'em all they can fly." He stuck his fists in his armpits, and waggled his elbows. "Lead on, my lord. I'm flapping as hard as I can."


The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett

  • “Rafferdy excels at being bored,” Mr. Garritt said.


    “Oh, how delightful that must be!” Mr. Lockwell exclaimed “I say, I should be very glad to be bored of fine things. For it can only mean you have everything you could possibly wish for and that you never waste a moments thought fretting over some thing you must but cannot have. I say, you must be exceedingly content, Mr. Rafferdy!”


  • “A word is all it takes to put a man in prison, or to seize his property, or to end his life. A saber might be stopped by a shield. A bullet might be dodged by a stroke of luck. But you can’t dodge a word. If one is flung at you it will hit its mark unerringly. No, Garritt, there’s nothing in the world more dangerous than talk.”

3 comments:

The first and the last ones are my favourite! Those were some good quotes.

Those quotes from and your review of The Magician and Mrs. Quent have nudged me towards giving the book another try.

Thanks Bryan. I really love collecting quotes though I just haven't found too many good ones lately. I have a feeling, though, that Bujold's books will supply me with plenty of them.

Stephanie: I really enjoyed the book, though it's different from what you usually read.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive