Monday, November 22, 2010

A Break From Genre Reading

Posted by Simcha 6:27 AM, under | 6 comments

I've decided that it's time for me to take a short break from my usual genre reading to catch up on some of the other books that I've had my eye on for a while. So for the next couple of weeks you can expect only reviews of non-scifi and fantasy books here, which I hope you won't mind too much.

These are a few of the books that I've already finished and will be reviewing shortly:

Free Fall by Anna Levine (hopefully I'll get this review up later today)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Hands of My Father: A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love by Myron Uhlberg

And these are some of the books in my TBR pile which I hope to read:

One Day by David Nicholls
The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise: A Novel by Julia Stuart
Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India by Madhur Jaffrey
Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl
Marley & Me by John Grogan

I have several other books on-hold at the library and which I hope will be available soon so that I can squeeze them in as well.

6 comments:

eat prey love, looking forward to your thoughts on that one

Ohh, I wonder if you'd like One Day!!

Blodeuedd: I actually wasn't sure if I would review Eat Pray Love because I figure everyone's already read it but it's hard for me to read a book these days and not review it, so you'll be reading my thoughts on it soon :)

BookQuoter: I read a good review of One Day at Misfit Salon and have been eager to read it ever since.

I do hope One Day lives up to your expectations! As for others on your list, I must admit I've never heard of Garlic and Sapphires - looks really intriguing.

Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl is just deliciously wonderful. It's everything you wish an Anthony Bourdain book would be. and it's hilarious! I've read it like 3 times!

I'm also curious about your thoughts on Eat Pray Love.

BTW and completely random, I'm about halfway thru Tidhar's Tel Aviv Dossier. totally weird!

StephanieD: Don't worry about One Day. Even if I don't end up liking it as much as I expect to I got it from the library, so it's not a bit deal, and I won't blame you ;)

redhead: I told you it's weird! If you like weird then Tidhar is definitely the author to turn to.
I'd never heard of Garlic and Sapphires before but the book sounds like a lot of fun and I look forward to reading it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive