Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's Steampunk Week

Posted by Simcha 5:26 PM, under | 8 comments

I just discovered that The Book Smugglers are having a steampunk themed week, over at their blog, where they are focusing on reading and discussing books in this subgenre and offering definitions of steampunk, provided by various bloggers.

I thought this was interesting because I had actually decided to gear my
own reading this week towards steampunk books. Lately it seems that everyone is talking about steampunk, and numerous books of this genre are currently being released, and so I wanted to have an understanding of what exactly steam punk is. I'm also intrigued by the fact that it even has its own line of fashion, for the true steampunk fan, which seem to involve Victorian style clothing, accessorized with gadgets, top hats and goggles.

While I'm not ready to go into full steampunk mode (I don't have a
single Victorian dress in my closet) I do have my pile of books beside me, which should help ease me in. I've already read Gail Carriger's Soulless, which is very light steampunk and a good place for a real beginner to start. Yesterday I started on Lavie Tidhar's new novel, The Bookman, and today I began listening to Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan. I'm also expecting to receive Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest, sometime this week. I think, after I finish all these books, I should have a fair understanding of what steampunk is, at least enough to understand what everyone else is talking about.

8 comments:

I love steampunk fashion! But it's something I don't think I can ever wear out and about.

I loved Leviathan! Steampunk to the nth power. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

I'm reading Leviathan right now too. I like steampunk, but don't care so much for the ones that have elements like zombies.

Stephanie: steampunk fashion is definitely interesting, though you'd have to be brave to dress that way in public.

Alyce: I'm not much of a zombie fan either. Are there zombies in Leviathan?

There aren't any zombies in Leviathan, but there are in Boneshaker. I'm going to check out the other SP books you have mentioned, because those first two I quote enjoyed.

Jones: I had originally assumed that steampunk was a subgenre of science fiction, which meant I was really confused when I started on The Bookman (in which the English monarchs are lizards). But now it seems to me that pretty much anything goes in steampunk, especially if zombies are involved. I enjoyed Soulless, though those who are go into it expecting a real steampunk novel will be disappointed. But Gail Carriger says that the next one in the series will have more steampunk elements.

I've been reading these posts. I think it is really interesting and I am learning a lot. I have only read Boneshaker and would like to give other steampunk books a try too. Lots of great information there.

Juju: There are some great images of steampunk fashion. I kind of wish I had the guts to dress like that, but minus the goggles, those look like they would be annoying to wear all the time.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive