Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 5:33 AM, under | 2 comments

I've been in a bit of a reading funk lately, picking up one book after another but not getting pulled into any of them enough to really want to stay . And so I'm currently in the middle of reading four different books and listening to three others, which at least means that I'll eventually get a lot of books read, if I finish them all.

So this week I put together some random quotes that I like from various SFF authors. And as always, if you know of any good quotes, I'd love to hear 'em.


************************************************************************************
Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken.

    - Orson Scott Card

My thanks to anyone who read, enjoyed, commented on, and most importantly, bought my book. Those who didn’t enjoy it so much have, of course, a perfect right to their own opinion, but in this case it’s just an opinion that is totally, totally wrong. Like those guys who think the earth is flat.
    - Joe Abercrombie


I’m much more interested in working within an established form than in doing something wildly innovative and unrecognizable, because people bring all kinds of expectations to an established form that you can then work with. Dust-covered man bursts through swing doors into a saloon and shouts, “give me a whiskey!” All kinds of feelings, echoes, expectations about the kind of story we’re telling are created for the reader. Water-covered man walks through some sliding doors and into a toy-shop and says, “give me a glass of water.” We’re nowhere.
    - Joe Abercrombie

Anything you dream is fiction, and anything you accomplish is science, the whole history of mankind is nothing but science fiction.
    - Ray Bradbury

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    - Douglas Adams

I want to kick-start your imagination and let you discover the places it can take you.
    - Terry Brooks

The difference is that in fantasy, you write about things you believe to be impossible, while in science fiction you write about stuff that hasn't been disproved. Everything else is window-dressing.
    - Lawrence Watt-Evans

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before.
    - Neil Gaiman


There are no inconsistencies in the Discworld books; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts.
    - Terry Pratchett

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    - Terry Pratchett

The only thing that would bother me, is if anyone were to be forced to read something I had written.
    - Roger Zelazny

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects
    - Roger Zelazny

2 comments:

Great post!

I'll leave you with a couple of quotes that I love by, Martin Luther King Jr.

'I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood'.

'I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character'.

Wendy, thanks for sharing these great quotes with me!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive