Sunday, December 27, 2009

Something Rotten (Thursday Next, Bk 4) by Jasper Fforde

Posted by Simcha 2:56 PM, under | 4 comments

I was delighted when someone recently gave me Something Rotten, Jasper Fforde’s fourth Thursday Next book, but at the same time I was a bit apprehensive due to my disappointment with the previous book in the series, which I thought was focused more on puns than plot. But I needn't have worried. Not only was Something Rotten a great book, it turned out to be my favorite in the series, so far.

In the beginning of Something Rotten, Thursday Next is still in the Book World, continuing her hunt for the escaped Minotaur. But after Emporer Zhark crashes into the 1875 western town with his battle cruiser, Thursday decides she’s had enough fiction for a while and it’s time to return to the real world. And so Thursday packs up her two year old son Friday, and returns to her mother’s house in Swindon.



Back in Swindon, with the brooding Hamlet in tow, Thursday is determined to get her old job back as a Literary Detective and to redouble her efforts at having her eradicated husband returned to her. But things have changed over the two and a half years that Thursday has been gone and her old nemesis, Yorrick Kaine, has risen in power and has joined forces with the Goliath Corporation, who are now focused on turning their corporation into a religion. On the plus side, Goliath is now seeking forgiveness from everyone who they ever caused injury to, which means that Thursday may have a chance at getting them to return her husband.

Aside from problems with Goliath, Kaine, cloned Shakespeares, a missing husband and the possibility of an upcoming apocalypse, Thursday is also being targeted by the deadly assassin, the Windowmaker, who happens to be the wife of Thursday’s good friend, Spike (though he thinks his wife is really a librarian). So in addition to all of her many other problems, Thursday needs to think of a way to avoid being assassinated without causing the death of her friend’s beloved wife.

I just loved this book! It was filled with so many colorful characters and so many different creative story lines, that it was just like embarking on a wonderful adventure that you never want to end. I don’t know how Fforde managed to keep all the different stories going on from getting tangled up, but he somehow does it quite successfully while populating them with wonderful characters that really come to life on the pages.

And the end of the book was absolutely perfect and unexpected; it was definitely my favorite ending of any of the books that I’ve recently read. After completing Something Rotten I’m actually hesitant in continuing to the next book because I can’t see how it could possibly be as good as this one was.

If you have been following Thursday's adventures so far, then Something Rotten is a must-read. And if you haven't yet given this series a try, then I highly recommend you do so, but start with the first book in the series, The Eyre Affair.

Read my review of The Eyre Affair
Read my review of Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, Book 2)

4 comments:

I can't remember if I asked this question on these prior books, but I am going to ask now if it is okay... How many books are there in this series? I think after reading you reviews on this series I am going to have to get into them. Hhhhh, just to find the time to get through them all with my other books here is the question...

I am glad the series got going again in this book. Glad you really enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

There are five books in the series, though I don't know how many more books Fforde plans to add. Something Rotten would actually have been a perfect place to end the series, just because the way that everything was tied up in the end. I really hope he's not one of those authors who keeps adding books a series until the series becomes tiresome. I hate when that happens because it ruins the whole series for me.

I just read his first book in his new series "Shades of Grey" I will definitely be checking out the rest in the series. He is a smart writer. I will pick up this series either over Easter break or summer break.

Happy Reading!
Heather
http://www.2manygoodbooks.blogspot.com

I really want to read Shades of Grey, though it sounds very different from his other books.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive