Saturday, December 12, 2009

Read the Book See the Movie Challenge

Posted by Simcha 7:15 PM, under | 4 comments


I've been looking for a new challenge to take on, since I completely failed to complete my last two challenges, NaNoWriMo and the YA Dystopia Challenge, and the Read the Book See the Movie Challenge looks like a good one.

I rarely have time to watch movies anymore and I've been wanting to watch
Blade Runner to see how it compares to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which I recently read. I'm hoping that this challenge will give me the incentive to make some movie-watching time.

For this challenge you can choose the challenge level that you want. I think I'm going to go with the Double Feature, which means I need to read two books and watch the movies based on them. For the first movie I have already chosen
Blade Runner though I'm not sure about the second movie yet. Since one of my customers is a former Hollywood actor who was in the movie Dune I'm thinking of reading Frank Herbert's book (which could also serve as my monthly scifi book) and watching the movie, which would make my customer happy since he's asked me a few times if I've seen the movie yet.

Although the challenge is open to all genres I think I'm going to stick with scifi or fantasy. If you have any suggestions as to some good movies I could watch , I'd love to hear them.

4 comments:

After reading your post, what came into my mind was Sergey Lukiyanenko and his Night Watch tetralogy. Up to now they've made two movies (Night Watch and Day Watch), the movies are in Russian but they have the English dubbed versions, there are also the ones with subtitles...I loved the movies. Actually, after seeing Night Watch - the movie I started loking for the books.
If I'll remember others, I'll be back. You said you'll stick to scifi and fantasy, but what about The Secret Life of Bees? Great book, equally good movie.
x
Ramona

This sounds like a great challenge! I like the idea of reading a book then watching the movie. I have a few movies I have not gone to see because I want to read the book first. I am going to have to think on this one. I may be able to do it.

I hope you have fun with the challenge. Sounds like it will be a fun one.

I can't wait to see the picture! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am glad you did because I think I may really dig your blog. Did you design the blog's theme yoruself? It totally rocks.

PS - Carl was one of my son's favorite series. I don't mind the swimming with the fishes as much as the laundry shoot of death. I think I will have to pull that back out and see if he still likes it.

@ Ramona: I loved The Secret Life of Bees, I didn't know there was a movie based on it.The reason I'm sticking with scifi or fantasy is because it also gives me material for my blog. I'm not familiar with Night Watch, I'll have to look it up.

@ Melissa: I don't usually like to watch movies that are based on books because they are rarely as good (though I did prefer the movie version of Chocolate to the book) but I've never tried comparing the two in writing and that sounds like it could be fun. It also gives me an excuse to watch a couple of movies :)

@ me: I've been over to your blog a few times. I really like it. I didn't design the theme (I wish!) but it's a free template from Ray Creations.
I love the Carl books, possible even more then my kids do. Frankly, I've always wanted to try that laundry shoot ride myself (though I'd probably just get stuck which wouldn't be much fun)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive