Monday, June 15, 2009

Quotes from SFF Authors



I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
    Douglas Adams


I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    Douglas Adams


The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
    Douglas Adams


I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.
    Isaac Asimov


Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.
    Isaac Asimov


I am not a speed reader. I am a speed understander.
    Isaac Asimov


Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken.
    Orson Scott Card


I don't believe that there are aliens. I believe there are really different people.
    Orson Scott Card


My favorite all-time work of fiction: Lord of the Rings. My favorite all-time nonfiction book: Guns, Germs, and Steel. Ask me again next week, you'll get a different answer.
    Orson Scott Card
     
I always try to have strong opinions on frivolous subjects and weak opinions on serious matters. Keeps me young and irreverent.

Gail Carriger

The beginning of a second book is a difficult point for a new novelist. You have your whole life to write your first novel; for your second, you have a year.

Blake Charlton

Growing up, I didn't have a lot of toys, and personal entertainment depended on individual ingenuity and imagination - think up a story and go live it for an afternoon.
    Terry Brooks


I want to kick-start your imagination and let you discover the places it can take you.
    Terry Brooks


The unfortunate thing about working for yourself is that you have the worst boss in the world. I work every day of the year except at Christmas, when I work a half day.
    David Eddings


Call it my little gesture toward social conscience, but I like to think I`m teaching a certain number of people to read. Now that sounds pretentious!
    David Eddings


American Gods is about 200,000 words long, and I'm sure there are words that are simply in there 'cause I like them. I know I couldn't justify each and every one of them.
    Neil Gaiman


Great, big, serious novels always get awards. If it's a battle between a great, big, serious novel and a funny novel, the funny novel is doomed.
    Neil Gaiman


Life - and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison - is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal.
    Neil Gaiman


This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof.
    Neil Gaiman


I've always liked the idea of a special Hugo to be awarded (by force, perhaps) to literary authors who
write books dripping with themes filleted from mainstream SF and then deny that it's science fiction
'because it's not about robots and spaceships'.

    Terry Pratchett


There are no inconsistencies in the Discworld books; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts.
    Terry Pratchett


In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
    Terry Pratchett


However, you do need rules. Driving on the left (or the right or, in
parts of Europe, on the left and the right as the mood takes you) is a rule which works, since following it means you're more likely to reach your intended rather than your final destination.

    Terry Pratchett


"You see, that is the sad, sorry, terrible thing about sarcasm. It's really funny.
    Brandon Sanderson


You seem to think that the only genuine existence evil can have is conscious existence - that no one is evil unless he admits it to himself. I disagree.
    Gene Wolf


The only thing that would bother me, is if anyone were to be forced to read something I had written.
    Roger Zelazny


Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects
    Roger Zelazny

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive