Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Posted by Simcha 5:23 PM, under | 3 comments

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.


I really don’t know why I read all the way through Hex Hall when it was clear to me early on that this wasn't my kind of book. The story wasn’t particular original or the characters that interesting, but it was an easy and uncomplicated read, so perhaps that’s why I kept picking up again.

Towards the end of the book the plot takes some surprising turns that suddenly rekindled my interest in the story and and it left off in a way that made me actually want to read the sequel, which I had not expected to happen.

If you are someone that enjoys reading books about teenager girls at magical boarding schools then you will probably enjoy Hex Hall as well, as long as you don't mind the predictable formula.
As for me, I would have probably written the book completely off if it wasn't for the very end, which managed to surprise me, and now I unexpectedly find myself looking forward to reading sequel.

3 comments:

This doesn't sound like your kind of book at all; but sometimes that's what you need. Easy and uncomplicated works for me. It's getting be a brief spring here, almost summer-like, and that always makes me want to read fun, quick books.

Lol, you didn't like it, read on and suddenly you liked it..sounds..oh I would have given up sadly before the good part

Stephanie: I actually quite enjoy easy reads, but I need either the story or the characters to grab me, which didn't happen here.

Blodeuedd: I normally would have given up after the first couple chapters, as I have done with similar books, and but I think I was just being lazy and didn't feel like starting something new.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive