Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 3:25 AM, under | 2 comments

It's been months since I last did a Friday Quotes post. For a while I thought that I just wasn't coming across any good quotes in the books that I was reading but then I realized that I had actually just stopped looking. When I read a good book I usually lose myself in it completely and only pay attention to the wording if it bothers me enough to jar my concentration.

I hadn't realized that good quotes were something that I had to actually look out for, until I stopped doing it. So now I'm determined to start paying more attention and when I come across a quote or turn of phrase that I particularly like, I'll make an effort to write it down so that I can share it with you.

So I have for you this week just a few quotes that I enjoyed from some of the books that I recently read, or am currently reading:


Grimwood by Jon Courtenay

  • There were old firemasters and bad firemasters; there were no old bad firemasters


The House on Darrow Street by Galen Beckett

  • "You were not spoiled at all before it was too late, Mrs. Quent, and look what it has done to you. You are practical and somber. No, we must hurry and spoil Lily before its too late for her, and she becomes hopelessly serious."

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

  • The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

  • I think how hope may be the thing that pulls you forward, may be the thing that keeps you going, but that it's dangerous too, that it's painful and risky, that it's making a dare to the world and when has the world ever let us win a dare?

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas
  • Real life is physical. Give me books instead. Give me the invisibility of the contents of books, the thoughts, the ideas, the images. Let me become part of a book. . . . an intertextual being: a book cyborg, or, considering that books aren't cybernetic, perhaps a bibliorg.


The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
  • "I tell you to think black thoughts and you come up with that?!" the lieutenant had screamed. "Is a guinea pig bad? Do you consider a guinea pig the representation of all that is evil?"
    "Maybe... if it's an evil guinea pig."

2 comments:

The quote from The End of Mr. Y intrigues me - but I confess I don't fully understand it. I'd have to read it over again and puzzle it out.

I really loved to read this stuff.
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness was much more informative.Thanks for sharing friend...

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive