Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 5:12 AM, under | 5 comments

This week I finished The Bookman and started on The Graveyard Book and I'm still in the middle of listening to Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld. Here are a few of the memorable quotes that I came across, in this week's reads:

****************************************************************************
The Bookman (Lavie Tidhar)

  • This is the time of myths. They are woven into the present like silk strands from the past, like a mesh wire from the future, creating an interlacing pattern, a grand design, a repeating motif. Don't dismiss myth, boy.


  • "In the real world heroes don't always live to the end. And sometimes, Orphan, no one gets the girl."

The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaimen)

  • “You’re alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you’re dead, it’s gone. Over. You’ve made what you’ve made, dreamed your dream, written your name. You may be buried here, you may even walk. But that potential is finished.”


  • Face your life
    Its pain, its pleasure,
    Leave no path untaken


  • "If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained."



5 comments:

Fabulous quotes you chose from the Graveyard book! :-) Such a fantastic book!
And I'm thinking I might have to check out the bookman now as well. Did you post a review? I'm going to check.

One of my favorite first lines ever is from The Graveyard Book - "There was a hand in the darkness and it held a knife." I think is how it goes.

Stephanie: Yes, that is a really great first line, though I have to admit that I had a hard time continuing with the book after it's dark beginning because the image of a small child toddling around as his family is being murdered was just too heart breaking. Though it does pick up soon afterwards.

I LOVE The Graveyard Book! I've never heard of The Bookman but that is a very true quote (the second one), and I like it. I will look into that book for sure.

PS- If you want to participate in the With Reverent Hands feature on my blog, let me know! I can send you a template.

Thanks Aarti. I also really enjoyed The Graveyard Book and am surprised it took me so long to get to. If I decide to take on this feature I'll let you know, though it id give me a great idea for a blog post.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive