Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Brandon Sanderson talks about The Way of Kings

Posted by Simcha 6:17 PM, under | 6 comments

One of the books that I am looking forward to the most is Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, which is scheduled to be released in August. I've found each of Sanderson's books to be better then that last, and since the Warbreaker was one of my favorite books last year, I can only imagine how awesome The Way of Kings will be.

And although August still seems to be in the distant future, Sanderson has already begun sharing some information about his forthcoming book, on his blog, to help whet the appetite of eager fans.



    I think KINGS is one of the best books I've ever written.

    I think the characters are incredible, the magic imaginative, the scope and history of the world impressive. I think the story is exciting, and has a depth beyond what I've been able to do before. I'm trying some new, exciting things for me—some nonlinear storytelling, some great internal artwork, and layers of depth to the storytelling.

Now I'm really excited! This book sounds like it is going to be amazing.

Though Sanderson goes on to warn fans to discard his publisher's claims that the book is the equivalent of Frank Herbert's Dune or Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.

    No new novel has the right to claim such a comparison out of the gate. If you go into KINGS expecting the next LORD OF THE RINGS or DUNE, you will be disappointed. I am not Tolkien or Herbert. I am what I am—a largely unproven writer still in the early days of his career.
Frankly I'm relieved to hear this, since I'm not much of a Tolkien fan (I hope that's not the sound of my visitors rushing out the door. Perhaps I should have kept this information to myself).

And finally, Sanderson promises that The Way of Kings will have a variety of magic systems, ( something he excels at) mythology, history and a small group of central characters that readers will come to care about. And it will be BIG (yippy!)

August has never seemed further away, though it gives me plenty of time to figure out who I need to become friends with in order to get an early copy of this book.

Check out Brandon Sanderson's full post at his blog

6 comments:

"the equivalent of Frank Herbert's Dune or Tolkein's Lord of the Rings" - quite a comparison, expecially since those are two radically different works.

I am not sure that I even like Warbreaker. I wanted to like it. I really did. To be fair I only made it about halfway through the book before I put it down. Did I enjoy segments of the book along with the characters.....Yes. However, Warbreaker as a whole never came together for me. I feel like am the only person on the planet that this has happened to because everybody else loves Sanderson's work. I have never been one to go along with the crowd.

Take Care. Have a wonderful week.
Steve

Stephanie: It does sound somewhat like the publicist was just grabbing for popular titles to us, and Sanderson appears to be rather embarrassed by it.

Steve: I completely understand where you are coming from, and everyone has the right to have their own opinions on books, but I'm curious as to what it is about Warbreaker that didn't appeal to you. Do you generally read fantasy?

Hi Simcha,
I didn't like the character of Lightsong. In my opinion Sanderson devotes to much of the book describing his life and what he goes through. I remember thinking " I get the idea that Lightsong is not happy with his life and the role that he must play. Move the plot forward."

I do read a lot of fantasy Bujold,Goodkind,Martin to name a few. I am accustomed to very detailed plot lines. However, I need something in the book either character or plot to engage me or I will put it down right away.

Take Care.
Steve

I read his post there on his blog about Way of Kings. He is worried it is being overhyped, because of the Wheel of Time work he has done along with other thoughts. But, for me... We are talking about Brandon Sanderson!! HELLO! Is he aware of the reputation he has with story telling? I read the lines on how he thinks this is one of his best books ever and that he has been working on this for so long. Those two facts have me all hyped up for the great epic journey!

I will be waiting at the store for the release of this book. lol. ;)

Melissa: As you can tell from my post, I'm also really excited about this one, especially if he says that it's his best work so far.

Steve: It's interesting that you say this because in a discussion on another blog a lot of people were commenting on how they didn't really care for Sanderson's characters. I thought this was odd because I'm usually very particular about needing characters I could care about, and when I'm unsatisfied with a book it's often because of the lack of character development, but in Warbreaker I didn't have this problem at all. I was actually impressed at how much his female characters have improved from his previous books. And so it's interesting to hear that you had the opposite experience with the book. I don't think there is any book, though, that everybody loves and it's always interesting to hear the opinion from the other point of view.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive