Saturday, December 19, 2009

Montana's Hebrew Speaking Bomb Dog

Posted by Simcha 3:18 PM, under | 2 comments

This has absolutely nothing to do with science fiction or fantasy but I came across this funny article and I wanted to share it.

So the Helena Police Department in Montana had purchsed a bomb sniffing dog from the Israeli Defense Forces because it was cheaper then buying a bomb dog locally. The only problem was that the dog, which was raised in Israel and trained in Hebrew, couldn't understand any of the commands given by his new American owners.

Even though Officer Foskat received a list of Hebrew commands to use, Mikey the dog just couldn't understand him. Poor officer Foskat even tried a Hebrew instructional audio-book to help him improve his accent, but to no avail. And so, at this year's Chanukah candle lighting ceremony, in the city's capital, Office Foskat approached one of the rabbis and asked for his assistance in communicating with his dog. Rabbi Chaim Bruk was happy to help, and now he is regularly on-call to help the Montana cop speak Hebrew to his dog.

And the article conclude:

    But the big winner is the rabbi, a recent arrival from Brooklyn who is working hard (against tough odds) to bring his Lubavitch movement to Montana. He has been scouring the state for anyone who can speak Hebrew, and is elated to have found a German shepherd he can talk to.
You can read the article in full here

As I read the article I could just imagine the frustrated police office crouched down next to his dog, attempting to pronounce one Hebrew command after another, while the dog looks on, with a perplexed expression on his face.

2 comments:

Hehe. This reminds me of an incident with one of my mother's dogs.

I was looking after one of my mother's dogs for a while. He had a lovely nature but wouldn't listen to anything I said.

When I complained of this problem to my mother she was quite perplexed as he was always well behaved for her.

Of course we soon realised that my parents only spoke to their animals in English while I have a Hebrew-speaking home. Once I changed to English the dog suddenly became well behaved for me too.

When I first came to Israel I was amused by the fact that the dogs here knew the language better then I did. But now I think it's safe to say that my Hebrew is good enough that I can comfortably converse with any Israeli dog. Though if I should encounter a French dog I would be out of my depth...

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive