Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Finds

Posted by Simcha 6:47 AM, under | 4 comments


I really like the sound of this book, and not just because it involves chocolate (though that does help). The plot sounds creative and I really look forward to reading it when it comes out in September.


All These Things I've Done
by Gabrielle Zevin


In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight—at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one I actually just got out of the library, after reading about it on someone's blog (I wish I could remember where) and I can't wait to get started on it.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
by John Green, David Levithan

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them both legions of faithful fans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first heard about these Johannes Cabal books on Floor to Ceiling Books and after reading several more reviews on some of the other books in the series I'm really eager to try it out myself.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal #1)
by Jonathan L. Howard

A charmingly gothic, fiendishly funny Faustian tale about a brilliant scientist who makes a deal with the Devil, twice.

Johannes Cabal sold his soul years ago in order to learn the laws of necromancy. Now he wants it back. Amused and slightly bored, Satan proposes a little wager: Johannes has to persuade one hundred people to sign over their souls or he will be damned forever. This time for real. Accepting the bargain, Jonathan is given one calendar year and a traveling carnival to complete his task. With little time to waste, Johannes raises a motley crew from the dead and enlists his brother, Horst, a charismatic vampire to help him run his nefarious road show, resulting in mayhem at every turn.


How about you? Are there any particular books that you recently discovered and are excited to read?

4 comments:

Johanes Cabal has got my reading feelers quivering in excitement. The cover, the premise, the title - all up my alley!

Nice finds! I've heard really good things about the Will Grayson book.

Oh these sound interesting. I'll have to look up on the Johannes Cabal book! Great find!

I'm with Stephanie on this one.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive