Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Book Challenge: Discover A Diamond in the Rough

Posted by Simcha 2:38 PM, under | 2 comments

I was sitting in front of my computer, trying to thing about something to write, when I noticed my name mentioned on one of the blogs on my Google Reader. I clicked on it and discovered a link to my site in a post about a book challenge that I had signed up for but have forgotten to follow up on.
Oops. I'm feeling a bit sheepish here.
But the challenge has only just started and so I'm going to jump into it now.

In case you are a regular reader of my blog you might remember that I have sworn off of book challenges (several times) because I never end up finishing them, and in some cases I don't even get started. And than I just feel like a failure. But when Bryce, from Seak's Stamp, approached me about this one I quickly signed up because it sounded like a challenge that I could actually enjoy and complete.

So what's the challenge?

In Bryce's words..

    I was thinking not too long ago about what if I just grabbed a random book from the bookstore and tried it out. One whose author I've never heard of before and maybe just because the cover strikes me in a certain way.

    This challenge is particularly poignant for me because I'm normally one who has to research every purchase, especially books. Why don't I give that many bad reviews? Because I look up multiple blogs, forums, etc. to find something I'm almost 100% positive I will like.

    Hence a challenge.

    So, we're trying to find those "diamonds in the rough". And while we know this won't work out best for everyone, as a collective, maybe we can find some really good stuff that no one has read.

    Consider yourself challenged.

    If you have a blog, let us know and we'll link to you when you get a review up of your challenge book. If not, give us a comment or an email and we'll post about it.



So for this challenge you just have to select a random book that you are don't know anything about, and read it. Simple, no? Well, I guess it depends on the book. But I am fully confident that I can achieve it. And the reason that I am particularly excited about this challenge is that I have a room full of scifi and fantasy books, most of which I have never read. These books are actually the inventory for my online bookstore but while sorting through them I will often come across a book that sounds good, and which I will want to read, but I never actually do it.

So now I'm going to go over and select one book at random, from my stock of books (and don't worry, most of these books I am not familiar with) to read for the challenge
....






OK, I'm back, and that was a lot harder than I had expected. While I came across a number of interesting looking books I didn't want one that was too long in case it turns out to be really awful. I'm also not brave enough to try a random scifi book. So the book I will be reading for the challenge is...


The Three Sisters by Rebecca Locksley

As one, they are destiny...

Once Tari ruled in the land of Yarmar – a mysterious race of visionaries and healers whose power has since faded to legend. Then the armies of Mir came to destroy and enslave. Now, in their relentless drive for domination, the despised Mirayan Prince Scarvan and his loyal duke, Wolf Madraga, have both claimed a prize beyond compare. She is called Elena Starchild, the bewitching wife of a newly slain woodlands leader. She is Tari, possessing a "fatal beauty" that confounds and obsesses her lustful captors. And she will not be abandoned.

Drawn from their island sanctuary by a sister's plight, a warrior and a sorceress return to an oppressed land, carrying with them the magic of hope, spirit, and glorious rebellion. But there are shadows in their own hearts that first must be conquered before a prisoner is freed... and a mighty destiny can come to pass.


I've never heard of Rebecca Locksley before but the book sounds like it could be good and the cover is very atmospheric, so..we'll see....

And here are some of the other bloggers participating in the challenge:

Melissa at My World... in Words and Pages

Amanda at Floor to Ceiling Books

Bryce at Seak's Stamp of Approval

Tyson at Speculative Book Review

Ryan at Battle Hymns

If you would like to participate as well just choose a random book to read and leave me a link with your review.



2 comments:

It's tough to commit to a random book isn't it? I really need an enticing cover and title and that first page is all important. If it doesn't hook me, then I'm afraid I'd have to pass. The book you chose has an interesting cover and premise, so you're on your way.

Stephanie: Lately I've only been committing to books that I'm sure I would like, after reading several reviews or receiving recommendations. But that is does mean that I probably miss out on some great books, which is what this challenge is about. And there is a certain pleasure in finding enjoyment in a book which you didn't expect much of, which was what happened for me with The Magicians and Mrs. Quent.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive