Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Habits Meme

Posted by Simcha 2:26 PM, under | 5 comments

I came across this fun meme today at Floor to Ceiling Books (who got it from The World in the Satin Bag) about books and reading habits and I thought I would give it a shot myself.

Here I go...everything you ever wanted to know about my reading habits...

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:

While I sometimes read while eating I rarely eat while reading. I don't think I could concentrate on a book while snacking at the same time.

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Nope, no drinking either.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?


I'm horrified by the idea of writing in books, which I suspect might have to do with the time I was severly punished by my father for coloring in one of my picture books when I was little. (I actually still have that book and I rather enjoy seeing my little drawing there)


How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

I usually grab whatever object is handy to use as a bookmark. Only if the book is already in bad shape will I dog-ear the corners or lay it flat.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

While lately I've mostly been reading fiction, I do love a good memoir or travel book.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I can stop reading at any point, which I often have to do because my reading is usually interrupted by small (but lovable) children.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

Only mentally. I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually physically harm a book on purpose.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

No. I would just figure out what it means from the context and move on.

What are you currently reading?

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin (yeah, I've been reading this one for a while)

What is the last book you bought?

Changeless by Gail Carriger

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I'm almost always reading a few different books at the same time. I like to read different books depending on my mood, and I also like to have various books around the house that I can pick up and read at any time.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

My favorite place to read is in my comfortable cushioned chair and the best time is at night, after all the kids have gone to bed.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

Hmm..I think stand-alones.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

I recommend Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods to everyone and I've been recommending The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society pretty frequently as well. While I read a lot of fantasy, most of my friends don't, so I don't even bother recommending genre books to them.

How do you organize your books?(by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)

Currently my books are not organized in any fashion. Many of my books are still in boxes and only my very favorites, or those I'm currently reading, get shelf space.


So what's your relationship with reading and books like? If you'd like to do this meme as well, leave me your link and I'll come check it out.

5 comments:

This is a fun meme. Here are my answers.

I enjoyed your answers! I participated as well. If you want to check it out you can here: http://lostforwords-corrine.blogspot.com/2010/05/reading-habits-meme.html

I'm interested in what you make of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I just recently read a review which went against the generally positive ones.

Stephanie: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie was another Books on the Nightstand Recommendation which I would have probably never tried if Michael didn't speak so highly of it. So far I'm enjoying it but it hasn't hooked me enough to make it hard for me to put the book down. I'll let you know how it goes.

This was great! Check out my answers here

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive