Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 6:27 AM, under | 6 comments

This week I finally received my copy of Gail Carriger's Changless, which I finished up in just two sittings, and enjoyed the whole way through. You'll have to wait until next week for the review, but I included here are couple of great quotes from the book.


I also finished Jasper Fforde's First Among Sequels, which I reviewed this past week and I'm making some real headway with Gardens of the Moon, which I may actually finish soon. I have also started on The Wizard of Earthsea, a classic fantasy by Ursula Le Guine, which I have somehow managed to overlook in all my years of fantasy reading, though I'm eager now to correct that.


So here are a few of my favorite quotes from this week's reads, and if you have any of your own, I'd love to hear them.

Enjoy!



- By the way, in case you are wondering why every paragraph is in a different font and color, it's
Blogger's fault. It keeps changing my settings every time I look the other way. I concede defeat.

*********************************************************************************************
Changeless (Gail Carriger)
  • She moved with such purpose it was as though she walked with exclamation marks
  • This was the kind of woman who took her tea black, smoked cigars after midnight, played a mean game of cribbage, and kept a bevy of repulsive dogs.

    Alexia liked her immediately

Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula Le Guin)

  • There was a silence, as if Ged was keeping back something he had to say. Then he said it:"But I haven't learned anything yet!"
    "Because you haven't found out what I am teaching," replied the mage.

  • In that moment Ged understood the singing of the bird, and the language of the water falling in the basin if the fountain, and the shape of the clouds, and the beginning and end of the wind that stirred the leaves: it seemed to him that he himself was a word spoken by the sunlight.

  • To light a candle is to cast a shadow

First Among Sequels (Jasper Fforde)

    'Mr Next-Friday-how do you do? I've wanted to meet you again for the first time. May I shake you by the hand and congratulate you on-' She stopped, realized she was being a bit previous and making a fool of herself.

Gardens of the Moon (Steven Erikson)

    Such tears had been shed before, and would be again - by others like her and yet unlike her. And the winds would dry them all.

And more from Calvin and Hobbes, who so perfectly expresses my own current frustration at waiting for a package of books that seems like it will never arrive (it's been two weeks already, where is it!!)






I know Calvin, I know...

6 comments:

I've really got to get around to reading some Gail Carriger. And I have also been meaning to read Ursula LeGuine.
And I love that Jasper Fjorde quote so much that I now need to read that one as well!

hi simcha! i hope you're having a great friday! :)

i've been wanting to read gail carriger since the first book hit stores but i've yet to do it. i like the exclamation quote from it.

however, i LOVE the calvin comics (thanks for sharing!). LOL i can relate to calvin 100%!

Oh, Calvin.

I love, love, love Jasper Fforde--it seems like every few pages there's a fantastic quote. I'm really excited to see what you think of First Among Sequels.

Oh, I've been with you and Calvin. I call home every afternoon from work and ask my son if the mail's come and just hate it when it has and there are no books. Hrmph.

Love the 2nd quote from changeless!! She does sound like a lot of fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm following yours now :)

Brizmus: I'm so glad you like that quote as it's a perfect example of what I love about his books. Though it doesn't make so much sense outside of the book...And the Gail Carriger books are so much fun.

Chelleyreads: You should definitly read Carriger's books as I think you'll really like them. I think they read a lot like a historical romance, at least, like the good ones.

Anna: I know what you mean. When writing reviews of Fforde's books I have a hard time limiting myself to just a few quotes, rather than copying down the entire book. You can read my review of First Among Sequels here

Stephanie: Considering that I've been practically camped out at the local post office for the past few weeks, waiting for my books, I can definitely relate.

Carrie: Changless is full of wonderful humor and dialogue and Alexia is definitely a memorable character.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive