Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 1:33 AM, under | 3 comments

I'm pleased to be able to report that this week I finally completed two of the books among the many that I am currently reading and I seem to be making some progress with the others as well. I finished First Among Sequels, which I will review next week, and Spellwright which I reviewed below.
And so here are some of the more memorable quotes that I came across in my reading this past week, including some from one of my favorite comics, Calvin and Hobbes (no day would be complete without a little Calvin)

Enjoy!

************************************************************************************

Gardens of the Moon (Steven Erikson)

Every god falls to a mortal's hand, such is the end of immortality

The Witches of Eileanan (Kate Forsyth)

All dreams are visions of what may be. We ourselves choose whether or not to make dreams reality

First Among Sequels (Jasper Fforde)

Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world."

The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. Le Guin)

  • The unknown, the unforetold, the unproven, that is what life is based on. Ignorance is the ground of thought. Unproof is the ground of action. If it were proven that there is no God there would be no religion... But if it were proven that there is a God, there would be no religion.


  • Light is the left hand of darkness
    and darkness the right hand of light.
    Two are one, life and death, lying
    together like lovers in kemmer,
    like hands joined together,
    like the end and the way.


Spellwright (Blake Charlton)

  • There is more possible with language than can be imagined within your rules of spelling


  • Half the world will tell you that you're worthless and stupid; the other half will tell you that there's nothing wrong with you at all. A few might even say your disability is a gift...The truth is that you are neither broken nor gifted; you are only what you make yourself into



Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)

  • That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!


  • "Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!”


  • Life is full of surprises, but never when you need one.


  • Calvin: I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius.
    Hobbes: What's misunderstood about you?
    Calvin: Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

3 comments:

Today, I met an Israeli boy who told me how he thinks you would pronounce your name - and I can't pronounce it. :-P
Anyhow, great quotes this week! I'm thinking I want to read Gardens of the Moon. :-)

Calvin and Hobbes rule!!!! That stuff will never get old!

Brizmus: That's funny. I guess I've been in Israel long enough that I've gotten used to everyone around me being able to pronounce my name. When I was in school, in America, my teachers always used to call me Simka, though the Israeli boy you met should be familiar with my name since it's also a common Hebrew word meaning happiness or a celebration.

This my third try with Gardens of the Moon, and this time I'm determined to finish it. It helps that there is going to be a discussion of it on Goodreads, so I'm reading it with them.

Stephanie: I know, I love Calvin and Hobbes. I check up on the comic strip every day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive