Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 7:31 PM, under | 5 comments

This week I actually manged to read two books, Shades of Grey and Magic Bleeds, and to start on another book, The City & the City by China Mieville, which makes for a very successful reading week. Though I'm wondering if anyone else who has read City & the City was bothered by the overly complex sentences that Mieville seems fond of and which often require me to reread the same sentence several times. I've never seen this mentioned in any of the reviews of the book.

I also started listening to the second Dresden File book by Jim Butcher, Fool Moon, and I'm a half way through The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty, my only non-genre book at the moment.

So here are this week's quotes...

Enjoy and have a great weekend!

****************************************************************************************
Shades of Grey (Jasper Fforde)


  • “I don’t need you to agree with me,” she said quietly. “I’ll go away happy with a little bit of doubt. Doubt is good. It’s an emotion we can build on. Perhaps if we feed it with curiosity it will blossom into something useful, like suspicion – and action."

  • The cucumber and the tomato are both fruit; the avocado is a nut. To assist with the dietary requirements of vegetarians, on the first Tuesday of the month a chicken is officially a vegetable."

  • The safest course was actually the simplest-do nothing at all and hope everything turned out for the best. It wasn't a great plan, but it had the benefits of simplicity and a long tradition


Magic Bleeds (Ilona Andrews)

The surest way to disarm a Jewish magician was to take his pen away from him.

The Memory of Running (Ron McLarty)

I always sound sort of anxious on the telephone, or sort of like I'm out to please everyone. It's one of those subservient hellos that really say "I'll do anything for you," but of course I don't really feel that way and I won't do anything for you.

Gail Carriger (Interview with Tor)

I always try to have strong opinions on frivolous subjects and weak opinions on serious matters. Keeps me young and irreverent.

5 comments:

I've been dying to read China Mieville. I'll look forward to your review.
And I totally love that Gail Carriger quote. She is awesome!

love that quote from gail carriger. thanks for sharing! you have a very wondeful weekend too :)

Ah, a great one-liner from Gail Carriger, perfectly in keeping with the tone of her books.

Brizmus: So far I'm really enjoying the book, though as I mentioned in the post, the sentence structures are oddly complex.

Chelleyreads & Stephanie: Yeah, Gail is awesome. She is one of the authors that I would love to meet most.

[url=http://garciniacambogiaselectz.weebly.com]garcinia cambogia[/url] is the richest obese on fire wrest available in superstore these days a days. Lose upto 10 kg in 1 month. garcinia cambogia select

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive