Thursday, January 14, 2010

Guess who won The Desert Spear....

Posted by Simcha 5:17 PM, under | 7 comments

For those of you who have been following my blog, you'll know that I entered Peter Brett's contest for an ARC copy of his upcoming book The Desert Spear, the sequel to The Warded Man (aka The Painted Man). This was a photo contest that you entered by sending in a picture of someone holding a copy of The Warded Man, with extra points awarded for pictures taken in an interesting setting.

And though I've never gone beyond filling out my name and email address in an effort to win a book, this time I actually really got into it. I visited a nearby Bedouin encampment with The Warded Man and asked the family there if they would mind being photographed with it, which they happily agreed to. I got some wonderful pictures, which you can see here, and I sent them off to Peter.

A few days later, Peter notified me that I had won! Which goes to show that he is just as intelligent and discerning as I had imagined him to be.

And today I received my copy of The Desert Spear, which I'm quite excited about. I'm tempted to immediately start reading it, but I'm afraid if I do I won't get anything else done today, so I'm saving it for the weekend. (Though I did end up losing myself for a while in the pleasure of popping the bubble wrap in which the book was shipped in. I just can't resist the stuff).

Peter also included in the book his signature, along with a really nice inscription:

Simcha,
You really earned this book.
Thank you so much for enriching my blog with your beautiful pictures

Such a nice guy!

And I can't for the weekend so that I can get started on The Desert Spear. By then I should have finished all the bubble wrap anyways, and will need something to do (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

You can see all the contest entries at Peter Brett's blog, as well as information on additional opportunities to win a copy of The Desert Spear.



7 comments:

Congrats, I will be back to see how you enjoyed the book.

What a nice guy! Congrats, that's so cool.

Wonderful! I was rooting for you!

Oh, I remember when you blogged about this! Congratulations!!!

CONGRATS on your win! The pictures were amazing.

Wow, Simcha! Congratulations on winning the book. That is such a great way to start the weekend. Happy reading. :)

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! Most of my friends think I'm a bit odd for getting so excited over a book. It's nice to know that someone understands...(or at least you guys are doing a great job pretending :) )

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive