Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Finds

Posted by Simcha 6:27 AM, under | 3 comments




I had read a couple of books this week that I really enjoyed and wanted to tell you about but with my kids home for summer vacation I just wasn't able to find the time to write any reviews. Hopefully I'll manage to do so next week. In the meantime, here are a few books that I added to my TBR pile this week.

A couple of Books on the Nightstand recommendations that I really want to read:


The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared

by Alice Ozma, Jim Brozina

When Alice Ozma was in 4th grade, she and her father decided to see if he could read aloud to her for 100 consecutive nights. On the hundreth night, they shared pancakes to celebrate, but it soon became evident that neither wanted to let go of their storytelling ritual. So they decided to continue what they called "The Streak." Alice's father read aloud to her every night without fail until the day she left for college.

Alice will approach this book as a series of vignettes about her relationship with her father and the life lessons learned from the books he read to her.

Books included in the Streak were: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, the Oz books by L. Frank Baum, Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, and Shakespeare's plays.


Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

by Nina Sankovitch

Nina Sankovitch has always been a reader. As a child, she discovered that a trip to the local bookmobile with her sisters was more exhilarating than a ride at the carnival. Books were the glue that held her immigrant family together. When Nina's eldest sister died at the age of forty-six, Nina turned to books for comfort, escape, and introspection. In her beloved purple chair, she rediscovered the magic of such writers as Toni Morrison, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ian McEwan, Edith Wharton, and, of course, Leo Tolstoy. Through the connections Nina made with books and authors (and even other readers), her life changed profoundly, and in unexpected ways. Reading, it turns out, can be the ultimate therapy.

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair also tells the story of the Sankovitch family: Nina's father, who barely escaped death in Belarus during World War II; her four rambunctious children, who offer up their own book recommendations while helping out with the cooking and cleaning; and Anne-Marie, her oldest sister and idol, with whom Nina shared the pleasure of books, even in her last moments of life. In our lightning-paced culture that encourages us to seek more, bigger, and better things, Nina's daring journey shows how we can deepen the quality of our everyday lives—if we only find the time.

This one sounds like a promising YA dystopia book.

Eve (The Eve Trilogy #1)

by Anna Carey

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


This week's favorite images and links:

There is a series of incredible photographs on slate.com taken by Jordan Matter of dancers posing in public areas in ways that appear almost supernatual.

 


I'm not much for posting animal pictures but this one is just too cute not to share


(Via Imgur)

And I love the villain of this Wonderella comic, The Mad Spoiler. Sounds like something out of a Jasper Fforde novel.


3 comments:

I did think about trying to get Eve from netgalley but then I read something and was a bit meh

I am mesmerized by those photos - I wish I could recreate some semblance of those poses without any sort of Photoshopping. The Reading Promise sounds very sweet and lovely; I miss those special times when I read my son to sleep.

Oh I want to read Eve too!

Love those pics and the comic was funny!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive