Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Finds

Posted by Simcha 7:06 AM, under | 4 comments


Since Friday is generally a slow blogging day for me I've decided to participate in a new (to me) meme,  hosted by Should be Reading, in which I'll tell you about some of the new books that I've discovered during the past week. And although this isn't part of the regular meme I'm also going to include fun links that I've come across during the week and want to share with you.



I love the Damn You, Autocorrect! site with it's screenshots of iPhone auto correct mistakes that never fails to crack me up. And so I was excited to hear that the site's owner has put together a book with some of the best autocorrect mistakes that she has received.

Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send by Jillian Madison

If you own an iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, or any smartphone, there's a good chance you've screamed that phrase out at least once. In Damn You, Autocorrect! Pop-culture blogger Jillian Madison shows you are not alone.


Filled with submissions from readers of her popular website, this laugh-out-loud funny book features cringe-worthy exchanges with parents, friends, significant others, and co-workers that contain some of the most unintentionally hilarious--and mortifying--mistakes ever caused by Autocorrect. Inside, you'll find a husband who tells his wife that he just "laid" (paid) the babysitter, a dad who tells his daughter that he and her mom are going to "divorce" (Disney), and many more epic texting fails too raunchy to list here.


Whether you love technology, texting humor, or taking just a little bit of pleasure in the misfortune of others, Damn You, Autocorrect! will leave you laughing until you cry, and thankful that nothing this embarrassing has happened to you. Yet. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Books on the Nighstand recommendation, because I love everything they recommend:

House Arrest by Ellen Meeropol

Home-care nurse Emily Klein can’t get out of her new assignment – weekly prenatal visits to Pippa Glenning, a young cult member under house arrest for the death of her daughter during a Solstice ceremony. But Emily takes her work seriously and plays by the rules, so she is determined to take good care of her high-profile and unconventional patient.

With two other cult members in prison, Pippa Glenning struggles to keep the household intact. If she follows the rules of her house arrest, she may be allowed to keep her baby; but as the pregnant woman in the family it’s her duty to dance for Isis at the upcoming winter Solstice ceremony. To escape the house arrest without being caught, Pippa needs Emily’s help.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I follow Maureen Johnson on Twitter and I'm constantly delighted by her crazy sense of humor, though I've never actually read any of her books. So when I saw that she has a new gothic fantasy coming out I quickly added it to my TBR list.

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson


The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun Links:


Weird Things customers say in bookshops


Cherie Priest offers advice on buying underwear

Self-help t-shirts


Article about a family that sells everything to renovate a bus in which they travel around the US. ( I would love to do this)

4 comments:

The Name of the Star looks awesome!!! Is it scary that Jack the Ripper gets me this excited?

I saw that last one on netgalley I think :)

I need the autocorrect one. I go to that site sometimes and just laugh until I hurt. :)

StephanieD: That depends on why he gets you so excited...;)

Blodeuedd: It was on Netgalley but only for people in Australia. Yet another reason to want to move to Australia (I have a long list)

Melissa: I know. That site just makes me laugh so hard. I'm always surprised by how funny those autocorrect mistakes are.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive