Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tips on preparing for the zombie apocalypse, from the CDC

Posted by Simcha 6:11 AM, under | 4 comments




The threat of a zombie apocalypse has become a serious concern for many people and the U.S government is not taking this danger lightly either. At the CDC website you can now find specific instructions for what to do in case the dead come back to life, and try to eat you:


    There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.


The CDC also provides assurances that if zombies do start wandering the streets, they will provide technical assistance to all cities and launch a detailed investigation.

    If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine). It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin, learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated. Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas (I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).


To find out how to prepare for the zombie apocalypse visit the
CDC blog.

(just a warning that this page takes a bit of time to load. It's apparently very popular.)


And for those of you who would like a little bit more protection against those invading zombies, you can now build for yourself a zombie-proof house, such as the one designed by KWK Promes. With movable concrete walls and a retractable footbridge, this elegant glass house can be quickly transformed into an impregnable fortress.








(This is my favorite part. I've always wanted a draw bridge)




(pictures via All that is interesting


Now I know where I'm going to be headed if this zombie apocalypse ever does take place.

4 comments:

Awesome house! Yes I am very weird and when we are out walking I sometimes look at houses or things that could easily be lived in and protected from zombies ;)

That's hilarious! And I want that house as I know my little townhome won't be much protection for me in the impending zombie apocalypse.

The page won't load for me! :( But I am so fond of the CDC right now -- do you suppose they were inspired to do this by the extremely badass portrayal of the CDC in The Walking Dead?

Blodeuedd: you should look at the site where I got the pictures from. It shows step- by step how the house folds up on itself. It's really cool. And apparently it does this each night.

StephanieD: I think of this house will be getting a lot of visitors if this zombie apocalypse ever happens. (though I have to admit that I'm not a believer)

Jenny: Yeah, it took me a few tries before I got the page to load. I a haven't seen the Walking Dead but this seems to be more of a creative effort to get people to prepare themselves for emergencies, of every kind.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive