Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Quotes

Posted by Simcha 4:47 AM, under | 3 comments

I didn't come across that many book quotes this week worth sharing, so I've thrown in some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quotes, since I like to interject those where ever I possible. I've also included some Dr. Seuss, because he just comes up with the craziest fun stuff (andI actually did read it this week, quite a few times) as well as a few author quotes, one of which is from an interview with Patricia Briggs, from this past week, over at Maybe Tomorrow.

Enjoy!



*************************************************************************************
The Lightening Thief (Rick Riordan)

Once I got over the fact that my Latin teacher was a horse, I had a nice tour, though I was careful not to walk behind him...I did not trust Chiron's back end the way I trusted his front.

The Girl with the Glass Feet (Ali Shaw)

It didn’t take tragedy or war to derail a man. It took only a memory.

Patricia Briggs (from an interview at Maybe Tomorrow)

I believe that, as in real life, a happy ending is something you snatch out of the crazy chaos around you. An unhappy person will never have a happy ending -- a happy person will find good things in miserable circumstances. ...

That being said -- happy people don't make for good books. Happy people have no motivation to go out and do anything. So I have to rip happy away from her at the beginning of each book.

George Barnard Shaw:

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not."

Douglas Adams

The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted. So the publication of this omnibus edition seemed like a good opportunity to set the record straight--or at least firmly crooked.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (Douglas Adams)


  • (Arthur) leapt to his feet like an author hearing the phone ring.
  • Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
  • Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
  • A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
  • Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?

    Ford: We're safe.

    Arthur: Oh good.

    Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.

    Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.
  • Please relax," said the voice pleasantly, like a stewardess in an airliner with only one wing and two engines, one of which is on fire, "you are perfectly safe
  • One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?

Dr. Seuss

  • The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
  • Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try

3 comments:

Some really good quotes this week!

This one really struck a chord with me:

The Girl with the Glass Feet (Ali Shaw)

It didn’t take tragedy or war to derail a man. It took only a memory.

Douglas Adams is always good for a laugh or several!

Beth: Yes, that book had some good ones. Hopefully I'll put up my review of it this week.

Stephanie: Even though I haven't read The Hitchhicker's books in years, just hearing a quote from the one of the books brings the whole story back to me and makes me laugh. I can't actually tell if the quotes are funny out of context, in which case everyone should just read the books :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive