Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Book Wishlist

Posted by Simcha 4:01 PM, under | 3 comments

As a Hanukkah gift to myself (one of the downsides of being an adult is I rarely get presents anymore) I've decided to treat myself to a couple of books from my ever-growing To Be Read list. Since most of these books are not even available in Israel, I would need to order them from outside the country (oh how I miss American libraries! Those amazing buildings full of free books in English), probably through The Book Depository which offers free international shipping. So I've compiled for myself a list of the books that I want to read the most, to help me decide which books to order. Though I've now seen that compiling a list has not made in any easier for me to decide which books to choose. They all look so good....


The City and the City by China Mieville

I've read some really good things about this book, which sounds really unique and intriguing and i'ts been in my TBR pile for some time







Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

This is the fourth book in Fforde's Thursday Next series, of which I've read all the previous books, and I'm frustrated by not being able to find it in any bookstore in Israel.
Thursday's husband is still eradicated and I need to find out what happens next. I've even bought book #5 already and so getting book four is of vital importance.




The Crown Conspiracy by Michael Sullivan

This is another book that I've been hearing good things about from some serious fantasy book blogs and websites and the blurb sounds interesting enough that I'd like to try it:

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There is no ancient evil to defeat, no orphan destined for greatness, just two guys in the wr
ong place at the
wrong time...Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in a plot to murder the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out…and so begins this epic tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and leg
end.



The Maze Runner by James Dashner

I've read some really great YA dystopia books lately and so when I heard this one recommended on Books on the Nightstand, I immediately added it to my pile.






The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe

Although this book came out in 2007 I never heard of it until recently, when I saw it mentioned by three different blogs. I seem to be adding a lot of fantasy detective novels to my pile, when I've always shied away from mysteries, but the reviews for this book sounded interesting enough that I'd like to try this book for myself.







Street Magic by Caitlin Kitteredge

I added this book to my list last week after I saw it recommended on Melissa's blog My World. Although I enjoy Urban Fantasy I've been disappointed by most of the the book in this genre that I have read lately, and so I'm always on the lookout for new authors to try out in hopes of finding some urban fantasy that I could really enjoy. I've never read anything by Kittredge before but I'd like to give this book a shot. It certainly sounds interesting enough .


The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines

I've never read anything by Jim Hines before but I enjoy books that retell fairy tales and this retelling of Cinderella, and her life after the wedding, sounds like a lot of fun.









Non-Genre Books

There are a couple of non-fantasy books that I've desperately been wanting to read but which I haven't made an attempt to buy because most of my reading time has been going towards scifi and fantasy books. But these books are ones that if I get I would make sure to find the time to read.


The Hands of My father by Myron Uhlberg

I love a good memoir and this book, about a boy in Brooklyn growing up with deaf parents, sounds fascinating.








Lost on Planet China by J. Martin Troost

I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson and his books on travel and I'm always on the lookout for authors with a similar writing style, so when I heard about Martin Troost and his humorous travel books, I added this book to my list. The Amazon reviews of the books are mixed enough that I have been holding out on ordering it though I really would like to give this author a try.





So now I just have to narrow these books down to two or three that I want the most, and to avoid visiting any sites that might tempt me with new books to add to my list.

3 comments:

Yay for treating yourself. Hope you enjoy them all!

Okay, now my book list of things to buy is even longer. So many of these look awesome!

Tell me about it-I've forced myself to stop reading book reviews and recommendations because I just can't afford to add any more books to my list.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive