Thursday, June 7, 2012

Armchair BEA Day 3: Beyond Your Blog

Posted by Simcha 4:35 PM, under | 6 comments

It's Day 3 of Armchair BEA and today's topic addresses the benefits that come along with being a book blogger, aside from the free books:


 Has blogging opened up opportunities for you beyond getting free, advance copies of new books? Has it helped you get offers to write or review elsewhere (maybe even for pay)? Have you gotten invites to special events or places you might not have been to otherwise?


Well, my answer to the question above would have to be no. Being a book blogger hasn't afforded me any special privileges and even free books rarely come my way since so few publishers are willing to send books internationally. But even though I don't get invited to special events and am not offered gifts and special promotions for my readers, being a book blogger has been a wonderful experience that has taught me more than I had ever anticipated.


Through blogging I learned some invaluable skills about developing relationships online and how to use social media to promote yourself and your website. I learned about the importance of regularly visiting other blogs and leaving thoughtful comments and to not only promote my own content but also the content of my online friends and acquaintances. I suddenly realized that my years of blogging had actually taught me skills that I could use in the workforce, skills which every business now considers to be valuable. So I decided to begin offering my skills and experience to small businesses to help them develop their own online presence, the same way I did with my blog, and I already have my first client.


When I began my blog I had no idea that I would stick with it for so long or that the experience would impact me the way that it did. I don't know if my new plan to become a social media manager will take off or not but I'm excited to try and I'm so grateful to everyone that had helped me along the way.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


P.S I can't believe that I had forgotten to mention one of the greatest things that has happened to me as a book blogger, though if you are a regular reader then you already know about it. . An excerpt from one of my reviews was published inside of a book! That was definitely one of the highlights of my blogging career. 


P.PS. And how can I not mention the opportunity that being a blogger has given me to develop relationships with some of my favorite authors? While I am sure the authors would have happily interacted with me even if I wasn't a book blogger I never would have dared to reach out to them if it wasn't for my blog. 















6 comments:

oohh! I can imagine having your review in the book was fantastic! I hope you got a signed copy of it to show off!
Chelle

That would be so exciting! I'd be carrying the book around with me where ever I went. lol

How wonderful that you are actually putting your blogging skills to financial use! I do agree that interacting with other bloggers online has helped me in real life as well. I'm a lot more knowledgeable about social networking, that's for sure.

I think ARCs will be ecopies in the not too distant future so you may still get lucky.

One of the most fun things ever was when an author followed me on twitter, an author whose books I loved in High School :D Yes blogging has done much

Michelle Birbeck: Not yet but I eventually hope to.

layoffthebooks: It hasn't even reached Israel bookstores yet but when it does I'll get a copy to show off.

Stephanie: Well, I haven't made any money yet but hopefully I'm heading that way...

Violette: The truth is that I really don't mind anymore, not receiving free books, because I felt too much pressure to read and review them. And I do sometimes get ebook from Net Galley but there is, again, that pressure to read them before they expire.

Blodeuedd: Interacting with authors is definitely one of the best things about being a book blogger!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive