Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Finds

Posted by Simcha 3:30 AM, under | 7 comments


This week I came across two different books of different genres that have similar themes, and both of which sound very intriguing.


Before I Go to Sleep
by S.J. Watson

As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Forgotten
by Cat Patrick

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in a different vein, this book from  new author, Steve Himmer, sounds just like the kind of creative and quirky story that I would enjoy, about a man that gets hired to be a hermit.



The Bee-Loud Glade
by Steve Himmer

When Finch, a recently fired marketer of plastic plants, takes a vow of silence to live as a hermit on an eccentric billionaire's estate, he finds that his attempt to contemplate nature and deeper truths is foiled by his noisy inner thoughts and his new employer's booming demands.





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

And some of my favorite images from this week:

A Japanese home comprised almost entirely of book shelves.

For those truly concerned about the zombie apocalypse, make sure to jot down this number. (via imgur)



This just made me laugh. I love coming across these odd mistranslations.
(via imagur)

7 comments:

LOL! I love that mistranslation

Haha...a man who gets hired to be a hermit, how interesting! I too have discovered Forgotten and Before I Go to Sleep and can't wait to read them!

Great finds :)

Hi! I've been seeing Forgotten on many blogs and plan to read the book one day.

I love the picture of the Japanese home! Wish I had one like that. :)

Okay... I know where I want to stay in Japan!

*jots down number* Finally, I'm prepared! That would be a fun van to ride down the road. lol

my sister really LOVED forgotten and has been urging me to read it.

that japanese house is so cool. i'd definitely want to live there. happy friday simcha! :)

-michelle

Before I Go To Sleep was riveting - highly recommend! And I think Missie of The Unread Reader had a rave review of Forgotten, so you can't lose with one or the other.

Would you believe that San Francisco is having a Zombie Day? If only I didn't have to work that day...

Blodeuedd: Yeah, I love coming across these funny mistranslations.

Kat: I've heard great things about The Bee-Loud Glade and can't wait to read it myself. It definitely sounds like a unique story.

Josette: Me too, but once I built the house I'm not sure I could afford to fill all those shelves...

Melissa: Makes you wonder what's inside that van...

Michele: Yeah, it was your sister's review that made me want to read this book. It sounds very intriguing.

Stephanie: Ooh, a zombie day. That sounds fun. Did you review Before I Go To Sleep? Maybe that's where I saw the book. I'll have to go over to your blog and check.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive