Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Excuses

Posted by Simcha 7:46 PM, under | 5 comments

My youngest child just turned three last week and I decided that this would be the week he would conquer the potty- if he likes it or not. So far, things are going pretty well and he's gotten down the basics (don't worry, I won't be going into any details) but the one lesson he picked up on the quickest is the importance of taking a book in with you when you go, even if nothing will actually be happening. My three-year old is doing great at this aspect of the potty training and will happily sit on his potty while going through the large pile of books that he brought in with him (though that's often all he does).

This is an essential lesson for all book lovers with children or other dependents. The bathroom is generally considered sacred territory and by announcing 'I'm going to the bathroom' you can earn yourself a few precious moments of alone-time. I often use this trick to get a bit of reading done (and it may work for other hobbies as well), though I can't do it too frequently or the children will get suspicious.

Unfortunately I can't sneak my computer into the bathroom with me so while I have gotten quite a bit of reading done I haven't managed to find the time to write reviews for most of those books. These past few weeks have been particularly hectic, as will the next couple of weeks be, leading up to Passover, and so I'm afraid I might not be able to post as frequently as usual, during this time.

Some of the books that I look forward to reviewing when I get the chance are
Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland (just finished it- fantastic book!), The King of the Crags by Stephen Deas (also really good), Catch Me if You Can by Frank Abagnale Jr (absolutely wild) and The House on Durrow Street by Galen M. Beckett (just OK), so look out for those.

And in the meantime, since I have Passover on my mind, here are a couple of fun Passover-related videos.

The first video is a musical parody based on
Diddy's "Coming Home" and Cee Lo Green's "Forget You". It was recorded just a few minutes from where I live so you can see here some of the beautiful desert scenery that convinced me to moved to this particular area (which some refer to as "the middle of nowhere").




And this is one is really cute, though you do have to know the basics of Passover in order to get it.

What if Moses Had Facebook




5 comments:

Oh the wonders of potty training. Yep, didn't have fun there at all with us. My son was so not going to go there. We tried everything, but eventually when he decided to go it was all over with in one moment.

But, I have to say I love that video and song. :) They really did a great job with that. :) Thanks for sharing it.

Potty training - yeah - not fun. As I recall there were some tears of frustration. Perhaps I should have had my son bring a book with him too :)

Love that parody filmed in the desert. It does look lovely, especially with the contrast of the bright blue cloth against it.

I'm so glad the potty training is behind me. I could tell you some stories, but I will spare everyone the details.

The books are a genius idea....who can't help but bring a book with them

Can't say I know anything about potty training....

But I do know that I want that Deas book

Blodeuedd: Did you read the first one, The Adamantine Palace? It was such a relief to finally read a sequel that I enjoyed as much as the first book. Hopefully I'll get my review up soon.

Melissa: Yeah, boys are hard to train. I've done it twice before but can't remember how I managed it.

StephanieD: I'm just getting concerned that my son may be under the impression that his potty is some kind of fancy chair for him to read on

Ryan: Yeah, someday when I'm rich and building my dream-house I think I'll include a library in the plans for the bathroom ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive