Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rest in peace Diana Wynne Jones

Posted by Simcha 3:18 PM, under | 4 comments

I was saddened to hear that Diana Wynne Jones has passed away, at the age of 76, after a two-year battle with cancer.

The news has been spreading through Twitter where Neil Gaiman, who had a special relationship with Jones, posted:

Rest in Peace, Diana Wynne Jones. You shone like a star. The funniest, wisest, writer & the finest friend. I miss you.


Many of her readers have gone on to express their own condolences, sharing some of their favorite Jones titles.


I've been a fan of Diana Wynne Jones since I was twelves years old and a friend lent me her copy of
The Lives of Christopher Chant. I was immediately hooked (and not just by the appealingly mysterious Chrestomanci who I developed an abiding crush on) and went on to read everything else of hers that I could get a hold of.

I still continue to enjoy Jones's books and look forward to sharing them with my own kids when they are a bit older.


Rest in peace Diana Wynne Jones. You will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Oh I am just so sad about this. I wish I had met her someday and told her how much her books had meant to me.

What a terrible loss. At least she lives on in her books. I've only read one book of hers - Fire and Hemlock, which I remember liking very much.

Oh, no. I didn't know she had passed away. I'm so sad- she was wonderful. I am glad that I have so many of her stories still to read, though. She had a great gift.

Jenny: I know. I also really regret that I will now never have the chance to meet her.

Stephanie: I've actually never read Fire and Hemlock but you really should try her Chrestomanci books, as well as Howl's Moving Castle. They are both wonderfully delightful.

Aarti: While I have read most of Jones's books I still have a few more to read, which I am glad about. I particularly want to read her newest book< Enchanted Glass.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive