Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Turn To Brag

Posted by Simcha 10:20 PM, under | 5 comments

Almost every book blog that I follow dedicates one post a week to listing all of the books that the blogger had received over the past week, either from publishers, other blogs or the library. I have never put up such a post myself because I don't receive new books that frequently and I usually don't even read those posts because they just serve to make me jealousto of all the awesome books everyone else is getting. But in the two week that I have been in America I have accumulated an impressive selection of books which I am quite proud of, from the various second hand shops and flea markets I have visited ( boy how I've missed flea markets!) and now it's my turn to do a bit of bragging...

At today's trip to the flea market I picked up
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (because one can never have too many copies) and Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett (my favorite of the Discworld books, so far), for 25 cents each! I would probably have gotten more books if my two year had not decided that he was done waiting for me, and knocked all the books on the ground.



By Philadelphia's Franklin Mills Mall there is a wonderful second hand shop where, in addition to some great clothes and toys, I bought these books for 50 cents each:


Marley & Me by John Grogan (I don't usually read dog books but I've heard great things about this one and have been wanting to read it.)


Uglies by Scott Westerfeld



Summerland
by Michael Chabon




Wicked: Witch & Curse
by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie



Wicked
by Gregory Maguire


Sideways Stories from Wayside School
( I love Wayside School!)




And for review I received
Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal, which is a book I've been really interested in reading. I also received the following books for review from author Danielle Ackley-McPahil:


I also received my first graphic novel,
Foiled,by Jane Yolen, which is signed by both Jane Yolen and
Mike Cavallaro, the artist. My mother had bought it for me when Jane Yolen did a signing in Philadelphia and I am really looking forward to reading it, since I have never read a graphic novel before.

And finally, these are the books that I had gotten out of the library, which I had dragged my brother to (since he has a car and a library card) on my first full day in the US:

Sasha by Joel Shepherd
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst ( I started this one but didn't feel like finishing it)
The Enchanted Emporium by Tanya Huff
The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt
Candor
by Pam Bachorz

The Anvil of the World
by Kage Baker

Book of a Thousand Days
by Shannon Hale

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay
The Magicians and Mrs. Quent
by Galen Beckett

Toads and Diamonds
by Heather Tomlinson

Await Your Reply
by Dan Chaon (The only non-genre book I let myself get out and I really hope I get the chance to read it)

The Adamantine Palace
by Stephen Deas


Yes, perhaps I did go a little crazy at the library and I probably won't get around to reading all of the books that I had gotten out (though apparently the library lets you get 50 books out at one time, and had I been able to carry more I would have tried to do so) but I just love looking at them on the shelf and knowing that they are nearby. I only wish that I could read faster...(plus I have to squeeze in time to spend with family) So far I have read three of them and I'm currently in the middle of
The Adamantine Palace, which I am enjoying tremendously.

So that's it. I'm done with my bragging and now I have to figure out how the heck I'm going to get all my newly acquired books into the suitcases (and I haven't even mentioned the 42 books that my in-laws bought me from a bookstore that was going out of business) But it is a challenge that I don't mind attempting.

Now I'm off to do some reading...

5 comments:

Wow! A good chunk of books you have there! Good luck with them all!

A Tribute to Theatre
The Murugan Theatre. It is one of the theatres in Thiruthangal, a small town near the famous industrial town of Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu. The small town had three theatres in those days (1980s). Chinnaknai Theatre was in the northern corner of the town and Balaji Talkies was at the other end, in the southern corner

We proud inviting you to the the internet's best Social community. www.jeejix.com .

I must say I'm always interested inwhich books people receive - either from publisher/author or bought. It is one more opportunity to discover books.

So glad to hear you are having a wonderful time with the books. :) I hope you are enjoying your time here with doing other things as well. :) You do have some amazing books here.

I am so glad to hear you are really enjoying Adamantine Palace. I almost picked this up at the store a few months ago when I saw the second one was coming out. But I just wasn't sure. I may have to get it anyway now. :) Enjoy!!!

ediFanoB: While I enjoy reading people's opinions of the books they have read I have little interest in seeing random titles of the books they bought.

Melissa: Yes, I am having a good time but I'm also ready to go home.
I really think you would like The Adamantine Palace. You should definitely try to read it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive