Friday, May 28, 2010

I Was Lost But Now I'm Found

Posted by Simcha 3:45 AM, under | 7 comments

I've heard that blogs make great platforms for venting your troubles and I'm tempted to see if this holds true. I'd regal you with details of my lousy week spent chasing down my my blog which suddenly went AWOL, after I switched my main website to a new host. I'd tell you about the frustrating hours spent attempting one possible solution after another, in hopes that I would stumble upon the answer to getting back my blog (since I really have no idea what I'm doing, it would be a happy accident). But it would all be pretty boring, so I won't bother you with the details.
Let's just say that I'm happy to have my blog back as I felt very forlorn without it.

Though the solution I did come up with is a temporary redirection and I hope that my regular domain name will be transferred back to me soon.

I was particularity upset about my blog misplacement this week because there were some really cool things going on that I wanted to share with you.



First of all, this past Tuesday was Towel Day, in honor of Douglas Adams. I did actually post about this even though I knew it was unlikely anyone would find my blog to read the post, but you can take a look at it now. If you ended up attending any Towel Day events I'd love to hear about it.

Also on May 25th a new and really cool project was unveiled at the SF AppShow, called The Mongoliad, which is a sort of serialized story, created by Neal Stephenson, and written by Neal, Greg Bear, Nicole Galland, and a number of other great authors. This story will be told through
custom apps on iPad, iPhone, Kindle, and Android, and will be something of an experiment in post-book publishing and storytelling.

Here's an explanation of the project from The Mongoliad's Facebook Page

    The Mongoliad is a rip-roaring adventure tale set 1241, a pivotal year in history, when Europe thought that the Mongol Horde was about to completely destroy their world. The Mongoliad is also the beginning of an experiment in storytelling, technology, and community-driven creativity.

    Our story begins with a serial novel of sorts, which we will release over the course of about a year. Neal Stephenson created the world in which The Mongoliad is set, and presides benevolently over it. Our first set of stories is being written by Neal, Greg Bear, Nicole Galland, Mark Teppo, and a number of other authors; we're also working closely with artists, fight choreographers & other martial artists, programmers, film-makers, game designers, and a bunch of other folks to produce an ongoing stream of nontextual, para-narrative, and extra-narrative stuff which we think brings the story to life in ways that are pleasingly unique, and which can't be done in any single medium.

    Very shortly, once The Mongoliad has developed some mass and momentum, we will be asking fans to join us in creating the rest of the world and telling new stories in it. That’s where the real experiment part comes in. We are building some pretty cool tech to make that easy and fun, and we hope lots of you will use it.

    People will be able to get The Mongoliad over the web and via custom clients for mobile devices - we're going to start out with iPad, iPhone, Android, and Kindle apps, and will probably do more in the not too distant future.



There was also a really interesting interview with Brandon Sanderson over at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. Sanderson talks about fan's reactions to The Gathering Storm and how he feels about knowing that his WOT books will never be as good than Jordan's. And although I gave up on WOT many years ago I still really enjoyed this interview. You can read for yourself here


I'm sure there were many more interesting events taking place in the world and in the blogosphere that I missed out on because I was busy banging my head on my keyboard, but these were the ones I was lucky enough to have found and so I'm happy that I can now share them with you.

7 comments:

Yay, I'm glad your blog is back :)

Oh, thank goodness your blog is back! I tried clicking on the last post that was in my reader and I thought the error was a glitch on my part.

I heard about Towel Day and now I feel like I should re-read the book. I love how random and silly it is!

Welcome back, Simcha. Kept wondering what happened...
And about WOT, I think I read the first five or six books, I think and then gave up...

Glad to see that your back in action! Hopefully all your troubles disappear now. Good luck!

-Bryan
sff-hub.blogspot.com

Aleksandra: Thank you, it's good to know I was missed :)

Stephanie: Hitchhicker is so much fun, it's one of the few books that I try to reread at least once a year. It always cracks me up. I am so doing a Towel Day event next year.


Ramona, I haven't seen you around in ages, welcome back! I hope everything is going well with you and Maya.

BStearns: Amen! On the plus side though, I did learn all kind of new technobabble in order to get my blog working again so at least I did gain some useful knowledge.

Glad to see you are found again. :) Glad to have you back with us again. I was starting to get worried when your blog was not able to be accessed. Sounds like some great stuff going on. :)

Melissa: It was pretty frustrating. I know just enough about coding to be able to work on my site and blog but not enough tech stuff to fix problems so I spent a whole week researching into it and it finally just required adding a CName to my Domain Manager, a small thing but one which took a long time to figure out. Anyways, it's good to be back :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I love hearing from you and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Tags

Book Reviews

Blog Archive

Blog Archive